Second Presbyterian has a long history of excellent music tradition. Our music ministries offer impactful, worship-driven musical experiences for our congregation and for singers and instrumentalists of all ages, spanning a rich pallet of musical genres.
The Chancel Choir is made up of volunteer singers and a core group of professional singers who serve as section leaders, helping to guide our volunteers and offering solo, duet and quartet work. Our musical repertoire spans many genres and styles. Rehearsals are Thursday evenings from 7 pm-8:30 pm from August to May.
Our handbell ensemble seeks to ring praises to the Lord through the use of our fine set of Schulmerich handbells. Bells ring regularly in worship and on special occasions too. We are always looking for new ringers and invite you to consider becoming part of this ensemble. Contact Second’s Music Director, Peyson Moss, for more information.
● 3-manual Casavant organ with a new digital Peragallo console (Sanctuary)
● 2-manual unit organ by Moller (Chapel)
● Grand pianos (Steinway, Sanctuary; Boston, Chapel; and Chickering, Smith Hall)
● Handbells and Chimes
● A digital carillon that can be played automatically or through the organ keyboard
● Drum kit
Community Concerts at Second
Community Concerts at Second presents FREE concerts and events by local and international artists, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) musicians, and the annual Wonderlic Competition for voice and piano. Concerts are generally held once or twice monthly on Sunday afternoons or evenings in the church sanctuary from September through June.
Originally named “The Second Presbyterian Concert Series,” the concerts series was founded in 1987 by Margaret Budd, then organist of Second Presbyterian Church, with the enthusiastic support of the congregation. The organization was renamed Community Concerts at Second in 2002, and became a separate non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization in 2004.
- Afternoon concerts with varied local, national, and international artists begin at 3:30 PM
- Evening Chamber Music by Candlelight concerts that include members of the BSO begin at 7:30 PM
Please visit the Community Concerts website for the concert schedule and additional information.