Welcome to Second Presbyterian Church!
Really. You ARE welcome here, in this place, regardless of who you are or what you believe. Honestly. Nobody is too poor or too rich, too good or too bad, too light or too dark, too–well, you get the idea. We want Second Presbyterian Church to reflect the hospitality and diversity of this city, to welcome all in Christ’s name, with open arms and open hearts.
As you can clearly see by our appearance, we are a church. You’d never mistake this building for anything else- but we are so much more than just bricks and mortar. We’ve been a Christian congregation for over 200 years now. We look like a church and in many ways act like a church. That might be intimidating to some, but we’re all just people, doing what we’ve been called to do. We don’t want to be intimidating or uninviting. We’re a group of people that wants to follow in the way Jesus would have us live. None of us have gotten it perfect yet, but we keep trying.
We hope you’ll join us. We won’t pressure you to do what you’re not ready for. We are not ‘guilt police’ here. God is love, and God is good, and we want our life and work to reflect that. We know that it can feel awkward to join a spiritual community; that it is a big step- but you are not at all alone in your seeking. We firmly believe that a person can know God here, through our reaching out to God and drawing near to others, and knowing God is worth the risk.
The Rev. Dr. Tom Blair
What to Expect
- Second is a medium-sized church of about 500 members, where we strive for everyone to be known and feel at home. We are a member of the Presbyterian Church USA denomination.
- Worship: We have two worship services on Sunday mornings: Our 9 AM service is a compact, more contemporary service in the chapel with music featuring the 2nd@9 Band, and the 11 AM service is a traditional service in the sanctuary with music featuring our chancel choir and organ. During the summer months through Labor Day there is one service at 10 AM in the sanctuary.
- Dress: You’ll find people from all walks of life here, and that means a variety of styles of dress. Many people “dress up” in their “Sunday best,” but no one has to.
- Communion: We serve communion on the first Sunday of each month at both services. Anyone who accepts Jesus as their Savior can participate in communion. You don’t have to be Presbyterian or a member here.
- Accessibility: Our sanctuary, chapel, nursery, fellowship rooms and some classrooms are accessible to people with disabilities. Drop-off parking area available on Charlcote Road side of the church. Use side door through white-columned colonnade.
- Sunday School: Our Sunday School for children and youth (and adults too) meets between the two services from September through May at 9:45. The care and education of your children is an important part of the ministry of our church.
- Adult Sunday School: One or two Adult Bible study groups also meet between the two services at 10 AM during the school year.
- Childcare: The Second Presbyterian Church childcare staff provide a loving, safe, and clean environment for infants (8 weeks) through age five in the nursery on the main level during both worship services from 8:45 – 12:15 during the school year, and 9:45 – 11:15 in the summer.
- Coffee Hour: We gather for fellowship and refreshments between the services during the school year in the seminar room near the chapel and on the front portico during the summer.
Directions and Parking
Second Presbyterian is located in north Baltimore City’s Guilford neighborhood at 4200 Saint Paul Street. Street parking is available around the church on Saint Paul Street, Charlcote Road and Stratford Road. Click here for detailed driving directions and a map.
Entering the Church
There are many entrances to the church, which often confuses first-time visitors.
9 AM service in the chapel: Enter through the glass doors on Stratford Road, or the back door entrance to the chapel on Charlcote Road.
11 AM service in the sanctuary: Enter through the main entrance at the front of the church, or from the sides on Charlcote Road, or Saint Paul Street. The side entrance on Charlcote through the white-columned colonnade is wheelchair accessible. Whichever you choose, someone will greet you and happily tell you where to go and answer any questions you may have.
Church Building Map
Click on image to enlarge.
Main Level Floor Plan
Joining the Church
If you are interested in becoming a member at Second, new members classes are held several times during the course of the year. Click here for more information about joining the church.
Easy Ways to Connect to Second
We want to help you find ways that are right for you to worship, care, grow and serve.
- Explore our website to learn more about opportunities to connect with God and each other through for worship, fellowship, mission, and Christian education.
- Look in the weekly bulletin for activities that may interest you.
- Fill out a pew visitor card and drop it in the offering plate.
- Introduce yourself to one of our Deacon greeters or our Pastors before or after the service.
- Sign up here to receive our weekly “Friday Flyer” e-mail updates.
- Call the church office at 410-467-4210.