Christ calls on us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Through our Mission and Community Outreach Council, Second Presbyterian offers members of our congregation many opportunities to personally connect Christ and community through hands-on mission projects locally and occasionally internationally to address needs in the area of hunger, homelessness, healthcare, unemployment, education, disaster relief and more.
Through the time and talents of our members, some recent projects have included:
- Collecting food for CARES Food Pantry located in the Govans neighborhood
- Planting and harvesting vegetables at First Fruits Farm to benefit area food banks
- Collecting clothing and toiletries for the Franciscan Center and Manna House
- Volunteering at the Walter P. Carter Elementary/Middle School monthly Food Pantry
- Preparing meals at Our Daily Bread
- Playing bingo with senior citizens at Westminster House
- Running in the Marian House 5K race
- Volunteering at Guilford Elementary/Middle School
- Building homes and relationships in the Woodbourne-McCabe neighborhood
- Serving a slow-cooked meal every Friday night for Shine into Womanhood (an Acts4Youth program)
June and July 2017 Partnerships, Programs, and Projects
(Click title to be connected to our current mission projects’ page.)
With our treasure, collected through annual pledges and special mission collections, Second donates money to more than 30 local, national and international organizations annually.
If you’ve been thinking about getting involved in one of the wonderful local organizations that are supported by our mission dollars but have just not had a chance to find the best fit for your time and talents, contact The Rev. Jenn DiFrancesco for more information.